Wednesday, July 23, 2008

An update from Hsinchu, Taiwan

大家好!

I wanted to give a firsthand update to those of you who are interested in what's going on here at GFC - Hsinchu. I arrived this past Saturday night (in Taiwan time) after much trial - getting lost on the way to SFO, finding out that my ticket was cancelled and having to wait on standby, getting an upgraded seat to Evergreen Deluxe (OK ... this wasn't really a trial), and finally landing in Taoyuan and waiting an hour for my ride - they got lost in the airport! But, after all that (and getting fined $150 NT for using Gracepoint lingo that's on the banned list here in Taiwan) it was good to finally arrive in Hsinchu and see everyone.

The next morning was Sunday Worship Service, and it was different, but strangely familiar. We started by moving the equipment from one of the apartments to our SWS room where we commenced with setup - sound setup, chair setup, stage setup - it was all the same skills that are hopefully being perfected by those of us in Tech/Arts training. After all the setup, it was time for praise practice, and I was able to get some shots of our Taiwan praise band practicing - same familiar songs, just sung on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.  After service, we were treated a delicious home-cooked meal!



For the next couple of days I went to visit family in Taipei, but now I'm back in Hsinchu and getting mighty excited for the Hualien outing this weekend.  We'll actually be gone from Thursday to Saturday, and it's going to be a great time of hiking, sharing, eating, and hanging out in one of the most beautiful places in Taiwan.  I'm excited!

Anyways, that's the news from Hsinchu, Taiwan, where all the boba is inexpensive, all the food is tasty, and all the team members are doing well.

1 comment:

Jenn Chen said...

Might I add that the boba is also WAY better...I had some when I went back for spring break and couldn't have any boba in Berkeley for three weeks after I came back.

Do they really fine you for using Gracepoint lingo? =P